Welcome to Shamokin Area Elementary Annex! Our building houses Kindergarten and First Grade students along with 25 teaching professionals, 7 support staff, a school nurse, and a guidance counselor. Our goal for our primary students is to foster a love of learning in a safe and caring environment. We seek to nurture each child’s full potential and development. Our annex team works collaboratively with parents to meet the academic needs of each student.
The Reading program that has been fully implemented as of the 2016-2017 school year is Wonders Reading by McGraw-Hill Education. This framework links our students to the core standards, inspiring literature, and makes a connection from the classroom to the outside world. Literacy begins with a strong foundation. Wonders provides the daily explicit and systematic instruction needed to:
• Develop essential phonics and phonological skills
• Increase phonemic awareness
• Build confidence with high-frequency words
The Math program that has been updated as of the 2017-2018 school year is Everyday Math by McGraw-Hill Education. This framework is a spiral curriculum that helps to ensure students master key concepts by continually revisiting content in a variety of contexts over time. Key components of Everyday Math include:
· Engineered for Common Core
· Balanced rigor
· Deepens conceptual understanding
· Allows students to think creatively about math problems
· Brings math concepts to life
· Provides opportunities to apply math knowledge every day
· Prepares students for success on Common Core assessments
New Incoming Kindergarten Parents:
Reading Readiness is key to your child’s education. The following are important and necessary skills that will prepare your child for reading:
· Letter identification (uppercase and lowercase)
· Letter sound identification
· Blending sounds to read simple words
· Concepts about print (left to right; top to bottom)
*Reading to your child every day for 15 minutes develops a love of reading!!
Welcome to the start of a new school year and another year of A+ School Rewards. Online registration for new parents/supporters runs from September 7, 2018 through March 12, 2019. Shamokin Area Elementary School ID# 22347 will have the opportunity to earn cash through Giant A+ School Rewards Program.
All you have to do is:
Thanks you for your support!